Monday, July 23, 2012

My Favourite Place On Earth


Imagine a place where there is no time.  Where the only thing that measures your day is the rising and setting of the sun.  Where there is no rush- no vehicles, no phone, no internet.  A place of the past, with only the occasional airplane to remind you of what time you are.

Imagine waking to the sounds of the ocean- wind and seagulls and, if you're really lucky, a rain shower.  The smell of salt water, wild mint and the remnants of a beach fire, smouldering on the shore.  The touch of sea weed entangling around your ankles as you find treasures during low tide. Imagine the feeling of complete freedom, the opportunity to know that this is where you came from, this is why you are who you are, this is what your ancestors left to you.

Imagine 11 acres of paradise, with no price tag.

This is my favourite place.  A place where I am granted the serenity to search deep into my soul, and realize that there is no separating this island and me.  A place where my grandmother teaches me not to forget that knowing how to split a fish is more important than what you wear and what you have.  A place that teaches me that only when we shed the materials of this world can we find true happiness.

Penguin Arm.  Once a fishing village where my grandfather grew up, now an isolated cabin by the bay.  It is my heritage and my sanctuary.



1 comment: